I was looking for a dairy-free whole-food snack the other day, and some 6FIT friends had sent around a No-Bake Energy Bites recipe that sounded really interesting. Instead of chocolate chips, I mixed in some chopped dates. They’re still sweet, but they don’t take over the flavor. Plus, they make these high-energy bites a little healthier. I didn’t have all the ingredients in the original recipe on hand, so I modified it a little bit. I loved what I came up with, so I thought I’d share…
Peanut Butter Oat-Date Energy Bites
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted (I use large flake unsweetened coconut, spread it on a plate and toast it in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until toasted.)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (if using a drier peanut butter, like many natural varieties, you may need to warm it slightly with the honey and mix them together so that it will mix easily with the other ingredients.)
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped (or chocolate chips)
- 1/3 cup honey, or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients until oats are thoroughly coated. Press the mixture into an even layer in an 8 x 8-inch baking dish and chill at least 30 minutes. Cut into 1-inch squares, or roll into 1-inch balls. Store in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 1 week. This recipe can easily be doubled.
The original recipe also called for 1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ and an optional 1 tablespoon chia seeds. I didn’t have those things on hand so I omitted them, but I’m sure they would be good additions.